If you have some grim, grinning ghosts coming out to socialize this spooky season, and aren’t sure how to entertain them, consider introducing them to The Pumpkin Problem! No…not a pumpkin who has a problem, but a light, Halloween-themed puzzle game! Here, let’s check it out together.
What Is It?
An 18-card cooperative escape room type game where you will work your way through various puzzles (word puzzles, pattern puzzles, riddles, and so forth) to help trick-or-treaters and win! The game utilizes a website that gives players information (like Morse or braille), can provide hints if you get stuck, and is where players enter their answers to advance through the game.
Who Is It For?
- Ages 10+ – Some puzzles are harder than others, but there’s a good range for a wide variety of players
- 1+ Players – Personally, I like these best with 2 players
- Fans of puzzley games
- Players who don’t mind an online component
- Cute art
- Website works very smoothly
- Good variety of puzzles for different player’s strengths
- Theme shines through the puzzles
- Nothing gets destroyed, so you can pass the game on or play again in the future
- Since you have to use the website, I kind of wish it had some background music to add to the thematic nature of the game
- Sometimes there are not many puzzle available to solve at once, so it doesn’t work as well with a bigger group in those instances
This series has been a hit for me since the 1st one I played, and this iteration is no different! Halloween is by far my favorite holiday, and I think this game is such a treat that really uses the theme well. It is able to do a lot and provide intricate, fun puzzles with only 18-cards, which I think is quite impressive. I would say that if you’re a fan of puzzle/escape room style games, this is a must for this time of year. Get yours in time for Halloween!
My Final Rating – 7.5/10
Designer – Jonathan Chaffer
Artist – Jonathan Chaffer
Publisher – Grand Gamers Guild
MSRP – $10.99
Check out my review of The Cupid Crisis, from the same series.
*I was provided a copy of this game to do this review*
If you like what I do, consider Supporting Me.