Everyone loves a good gift-giving event! There are some interesting offerings in this year’s exchange, but some of them are just what you wanted! Go figure, right? Now you’ll have to swap and steal presents to check all your favorites off your list. Let’s check it out!
What Is It?
A party card game where players start with a list of presents and secretly mark off 6 they want. The goal is to collect as many of those gifts as you can face-up in front of you, before the game ends. A certain number of cards are dealt to each player, and the center of the table, based on player count. On their turn, a player can 1. open a present, by playing it face-up in front of them, 2. trade a present by taking one from another player’s hand or from in front of them and giving them one of their own, or 3. end the game, as long as everyone has gotten at least 1 turn. The game can also end when the last gift is opened. Once the game ends, each face-up card from your list is worth 1 point. The player with the most points wins!
Who Is It For?
- 3 – 6 Players – Scales well at any count
- Ages 10+ – Simple rules, but game could be a bit mean for younger players because of the swapping/stealing
- Players who don’t mind stealing cards in games & games that can end abruptly
- Fans of silly, quick card games
- Aesthetics – Though some of the gifts are a little weird looking, I think the art is fun, unique, and charming, so I like it!
- Small/Portable – Doesn’t need a large play area
- Rules – Short and sweet; well-written
- Plays quickly
- Easy set-up/clean-up
- Website is provided to print more gift lists
- I like that you don’t just steal cards, you have to give the player back a card in exchange, so it’s not just constant attacking/ganging up on someone, they still have cards to work with
- I don’t love that anyone can end the game at any time; I just prefer knowing a game will end after X rounds, or once a certain number of cards are played
- The game isn’t drastically different play to play, so after a few plays I feel like I’ve seen all it has to offer
Overall, there’s not much to this game, but for what it is, it certainly works. I really like the silly art, and I think it’s just funny to watch people fight over things like a gelatin necktie, or 500 coat hangers!
It’s a cute little game that’s fun for a medium-sized group. It’s not one I’ll ask to play all the time, but it’s a quick little thing that’s good to pull out around the holidays.
My Final Rating – 5/10
Designer – Steve Jackson (I)
Artist – Greg Hyland
Publisher – Steve Jackson Games
MSRP – $9.95
*I was provided a copy of this game to do this review*
If you like what I do, consider Supporting Me.