You, young turkey, are destined to become someone’s delicious Thanksgiving feast. However, it seems like there might be a way out… See if you can escape your fate and live to see another glorious day! It’s time for The Turkey Trial!
What Is It?
This is game #7 in the Holiday Hijinks series. It is an 18-card, cooperative escape room style game. Players will work through a series of puzzles in order to go through all the cards and, ultimately, win. There is also a website players will access to input answers, so it can tell them what card(s) to take next. The website also has hints and info (i.e. Morse code, braille, et cetera) which players may need throughout the game.
Who Is It For?
- 1 or more players – I personally think it works best at 2. I like having someone to work alongside, but I don’t think there’s enough puzzles going on at once to keep a larger group engaged
- Ages 10 & up – The puzzles aren’t too difficult (this game is rated a 1/3 difficulty), so I think it’s good for a wide age range
- Fans of puzzles, riddles et cetera; escape room style games
- Players who don’t mind playing with the online component, and who can communicate and cooperate well
- Small / Portable; Doesn’t take up a lot of table space
- Connected to that it’s a surprisingly “big” game content wise for only 18 cards
- Fun theme that you don’t see very often
- The website works well; clear when to use which info
- Difficulty rating seems to be accurate compared to others in the series
- Good variety of puzzles
- The website has sound effects when you put in answers, but I wish it had some background music to add to the experience
- Sometimes the game can feel very linear, and since it’s small, there’s sometimes not multiple puzzles for players to work on at once
I don’t want to say too much about the game, because I don’t want to spoil anything. But what I can say is that, like the others in the series, this game is great!
I love the mini-escape room the game provides, only using cards, and I think that even having played all the games in the series, I am still entertained by the various puzzles it provides, which is a great sign.
I also just love the theming because the series is able to take holidays that I would consider not very thematic or fun, like Thanksgiving, and really bring them to life.
What I will say, for me personally, I prefer the experience of the harder difficulty sets, but I do like that the easier ones are there for a wider audience.
Ultimately, if you like puzzles/escape rooms, you definitely want to pick this one up!
My Final Rating – 7/10
Designer – Jonathan Chaffer
Artist – Karl Juhlke
Publisher – Grand Gamers Guild
MSRP – $10.99
*I was provided a copy of this game to do this review*
If you like what I do, consider Supporting Me.