Sometimes, only the most cunning and manipulative rulers can rise to the top. Do you think it could be you? Bluff and bribe your way to power by taking out all your rivals through assassinations, coups, and more. The only way to ensure everlasting victory is to be the last one standing.
What Is It?
A hidden role game where each player starts with 2 hidden influence (roles), each with their own special actions. Players can use actions to collect coins, take out opponents, and even switch their role cards. The twist? Players can take any actions, no matter what roles they actually have, by bluffing and convincing their opponents that they have certain roles. But players need to be careful. If an opponent calls you out and finds you’re lying, you’ll lose an influence and be that much closer to elimination. Ultimately, you want to be the last player standing.
Who Is It For?
- 3 – 6 Players; Larger groups are more interesting
- Ages 12 +
- Players who like (and are fairly good at) bluffing / can read others well
- Players who don’t mind player elimination
- Players who like light/quick games with few rules
- Aesthetics – nice art
- Quality – good cards/coins
- Plays quick/smoothly
- Really nice & versatile reference cards
- Don’t have to stick to your role, can do any actions
- Also cool that you can do well by lying or telling the truth
- Player Elimination – Never great, especially in bigger groups, but luckily rounds tend to be very quick, so you don’t have to be out for long
- Easy to gang up on someone once they’ve already lost one role and get them out
Coup has been in my collection for a long time. I think it’s a game that’s easy to teach people whether they play a wide range of games or not, and it’s nice that it’s quick so you can easily reset after someone has a bad game, and try again, or easily move on to something else if you find your group isn’t enjoying it.
I do think this one is group-dependent; if everyone is good at bluffing and calling people out, it feels much more exciting than if everyone just does their actions and never really interact.
It’s definitely not for everyone, but if you’re looking to get into bluffing/hidden role games, I think this is a great game to start with!
My Final Rating – 7/10
Designer -Rikki Tahta
Publisher – Indie Boards & Cards
MSRP – $14.99
*This is an uncompensated review*
If you like what I do, consider Supporting Me.